Frequently Asked Questions
Samsung, Toyoda &Tornos Q&A
What was the start of the company’s history?
- (1989) Started as a division of Samsung Heavy Ind, Ltd. With technology partnership with OKK (Japan).
- (1991) Technology partnership with Mori Seiki.
- (1930) Begins as a textile and machine tool facility for Toyota Motor Co.
- (1941) Toyoda releases first product (Power Unit Type B).
- (1956) Toyoda develops first grinding machine.
- (1880) The Swiss type lathe is born.
- (1914) Establishment of Tornos.
Are the products supported by Tech Centers?
- Protek is known as Samsung West. Protek moved to a 4,300 sq ft facility with a 2,200 sq ft showroom.
- Protek has 4 Samsung’s on the floor (under power).
- This facility is a partnership with Samsung and Protek.
- Tech/Training Center in Placentia, CA is 4,000 sq ft.
- Machines under power at all times.
- Home of the Regional Manager, District Manager, Applications and Service Staff.
- Protek has 1 Toyoda on the floor (under power).
- Tornos will have 2 machines on Protek’s floor.
- Tornos has a Regional Manager/Applications consultant living in Southern California.
- 2 Service Techs live in Sothern California.
Are these products controlled by the manufacturers in their own factories?
None of these manufacturers farm out to independent factories.
What about parts inventory and location?
Samsung: 6 Million plus in Wisconsin, $50,000 at Protek in 2016
Toyoda: 26 Million in Chicago
Tornos: 5 Million in Chicago
How many new models will be introduced in 2016?
How strong will IMTS be for these companies in 2016?
Samsung: Samsung will show an impressive 21 machines (with many new models).
Toyoda: Toyoda will have one of the largest booths at the show (16,000 sq ft).
Tornos: Tornos will be showing their new models as well as the impressive milti-swiss machine.
What Controls are used for these companies?
What service and support is offered by Protek?
Since 1998, Protek has a proven track record with there customer base when it comes to support. Protek still has 5 Service Engineers (No Outside Contractors) with loyal tenture and experience with Protek. Thomas (11 years), Mike (11 years), Gerry (8 years), Mark (7 Years), Oscar (3 years). On the applications side, Protek has been a GibbsCAM partner for 18 years.